Just Soy You Know
Runner up 2018 Purdue Soyabean Awards
Role – Researcher & Product Designer
I worked with a team who specialized in researching and developing prototype. My task as the designer included form exploration, product development, post-processing, branding and narrative-building.
Reading each product label to decipher expiry date is a time-consuming process. Most of the products are still widely used past their use by dates. The label on a lot of these products rub off before the use by date is reached. Considering all of these problems, we came up with a timed visual indicator plastic made of Soya. The best part, it is cost-effective and bio-degradable. The colour changes with time from original brown soya colour to blue and we know the product is expired. There is no need to check the label.
- The Pharmaceutical Packaging and Labeling Services industry is valued at $3.6 billion
- 55% of that is packaging services alone
- No company controls more than 4% of the market
Benefits of using Soya
- Natural polymers are easier to visually change than most synthetic polymers
- Safe for ingestion for most people
- Lessened environmental impact (landfills, waste water, etc.)
- Soy is readily available in fairly large quantities
- Does what no other company is doing
- Market has room for enter and is growing
- Quick production time
- After extensive testing:•Alleviate micro degradation concerns•No Toxic byproducts
After sufficient amount of sketches, we came up with a cost-effective sticker with three layer solid plastic plates. First layer cosists of Soy plastic (70%), second layer is the daming material (20%) and the third layer consits of the changing agent (10%). Reason for a square shape over a circular is to avoid wastage of processed material on the sides.